For better websites you have to build sites which are user-friendly AND optimized for search engines.
Here are 10 strategies for better webdesign:
1. Use valid HTML/CSS code. Searchengines and users hate wbesites which cannot be read correctly
2. Try to find out the most relevant keywords of your clients. Sort them by relevancy and list the first 12-15 keywords
3. Provide useful and structured content which referes to the keywords
4. Set keywords in bold within the text. Use keywords within the title tag.
5. Use h1-headlines for the most important keywords
6. Use alt-tags for images
7- Design. Try to create an unique and attractive design. High-quality images will impress your visitors. Seach for nice images in the web but do not copy them without permission!
8. Submit your website to the most important search-egnines like google, yahoo …
9. Try to get new backlinks every weekSearchengines will love that. Be sure not to get bad neighbourhood. Only quality websites should link to you. Directoy listings will provide you with good links when they have a pagerank of 2 or higher.
10. Keep your website actual. A news section will provide visitors and searchengine with new content.
If you have not the time or ability to design a website contact an agency with long-termed experience in webdesigning and seo. Before placiong an order you should check the references. There should be at least 20 web projects from different customers.